Society of Saint Vincent de Paul Conference
The SVP has been working for almost 200 years, all over the world caring for people in need wherever they are. Here at Saint Mary’s we have been active since December 2014, caring for people in need in our midst.
We visit people in their own homes, offering them practical support as well as friendship, comfort and the love that springs from Jesus.
The people we visit come to our attention in a number of ways:
- struggling, sickness or disability
- caring for sick or disabled family members
- isolated due to ill health or disability
- coming to terms with family breakdown and bereavement
- in need of a little extra support, friendship and tenderness
The work of the SVP Conference in our parish has included:
- Visiting a number of people in the parish regularly
- Offering people practical support where we are able, for example getting painting materials for someone who wanted to decorate their home
- Arranging a seaside holiday for one family
- Giving birthday and Christmas presents to the children in the families we support
- Accessing things such as furniture and clothing for people who need it from the SVP stores in Bradford
- Helping people in need with winter fuel bills
- Signposting people to services and agencies that might help them
- Meeting a mother struggling to care for a severely disabled child for a coffee and a chat
- Providing support to facilitate a return to work
We also organised two events in our first year:
- a visit to Ampleforth Abbey with a tour and lunch at the Abbey for a number of people that we visit
- a tea party in the newly refurbished Old School Parish Centre followed by 5pm mass in the church.
Our SVP group (known as a Conference) is linked with another group in Bucharest in Romania.
We also support the role played nationally by the SVP in raising issues with the government such as our response to the refugee crisis.
The members of the Conference hope that the work of the SVP in Knaresborough will continue to grow. We are grateful for the support of the parish through prayer and donations.
More information can be found on the SVP website at svpknaresborough.btck.co.uk